Saturday 18 January 2014

The Journey

Here in Manitoba, it's the middle of winter.  DEEP winter.  And last night we got even more snow.  I have to say I feel like saying "ENOUGH ALREADY!!!" but at least it's not cold.  And at least it's nice enough that I can send the kids outside and they can work off their energy outside sledding or playing with the dog!

Dog pile anyone????

Can't swing any more - the snow's too deep, so might as well climb up the slide.

Buddy time - a great day to climb the snow drifts!


But along with winter, comes my ever increasing desire to head somewhere warm.  To escape the frigid temperatures.  Get away from it all.  I've been hoping to get to the Dominican Republic this spring (don't think it's going to work since I want all four of us to go and $$ is always an issue). So resigning myself to not being able to do that, I've been thinking about where we might go for a family vacation.  Having family to the far east of us, and family to the far west of us, while our children children were young, we opted to visit family for our vacations.  But now that at least one is heading into her teen years, the request has been to "see more".  Two years ago we headed to South Dakota for a very memorable vacation, so this year, I was trying to think of where we could go.  I love the mountains, but have been to the Canadian Rockies, so the thought about going to Colorado has been on my mind.  (If any of you have been there, I'd love to hear some thoughts as to where we should go!)

For us we have always traveled.  Our kids were young travelers jetting across Canada as early as four months.  They soon learned to be content in their car seats as we journeyed 20+ hours to my home in southern Ontario or the 9+ hours to my husband's home in Saskatchewan.  Both our kids soon learned that the trips could be as interesting or boring as they made it.  If they brought things to entertain them, the journey went much better.  If they drank too much juice at one time, the journey was not a pleasant one when the service stations were far and few between.

Each journey we took was never the same.  We saw different things, encountered different road blocks, admired different scenes, stopped at different waysides, went up incredibly steep hills, and made the descents trusting our brakes to hold, etc.  In the end, our destination was always worth the journey. We would arrive at Opa and Oma's or Grandma and Grandpa's homes where we were greeted with outstretched arms and hugs and kisses.

As I focused on finding out information for a potential journey to Colorado, I was reminded how our lives here on earth are a journey.  No one's journey is the same.  Some might be on a road that seems to be pretty smooth, with very few hills or valleys.  Some of us might be on a journey with many twists and turns and lots of road blocks.  Some of us might be on a journey that gets us lost at times.  But each of us has our own journey that we are on - with eternity as the final destination.

I'm thankful I know that my final destination will be with my Lord Jesus.  I'm also thankful that He knows every path and curve on my journey.  He knows when I have a "breakdown".  He knows when I've missed a major turn and gotten lost in the woods somewhere.  He knows when I am just coasting downhill not watching for what might be at the end of the hill.  He knows when I am diligently searching the map to make sure I stay on course. He knows when I have been in constant conversation with Him, to ensure that I am still staying the course.  He knows when the journey gets too much and He just needs to pick me up and carry me for awhile.  My Navigator knows all things about my journey.  He knows what my path will be and is just waiting for me to contact Him with questions or requests for help.  AND, He is waiting for me at my final destination, waiting with open arms to welcome me.

But it makes me wonder. . .  what am I doing with my journey?  Am I continually seeking guidance from my Navigator or am I trying to figure it out on my own?  When I take my eyes off the road or the map, do I try to find my way back on my own, or am I crying out to God for forgiveness and direction?  When I decide to take a detour, do I beat myself up and stay put in the pit that I've ended up in, or trust that He will guide me back to the road I should be on to continue with my journey?

Yesterday, I took a detour.  In fact, I flew completely off the tracks.  Didn't listen to my Navigator and went off on my own detour again.  Why is that so easy?  Why is it so easy to blow my stack instead of being calm?  Why is it so easy to point the finger instead of being humble and gentle?  Why is it so easy to spew angry and hurtful words?  I know. . . it's because I wasn't listening to my Guide.  I wasn't focusing on my destination but was rather looking in the rear view mirror at my own life.  At myself.  When I should have been looking forward toward my Guide.  To the one who is showing me where I should be going.

But I remind myself that today is a new day.  And I'm trying to take One Day at a Time.  My journey isn't over, it just had a minor set back.  So today, I resolve to get back on the tracks and keep my focus on God. To keep my thoughts, my words, my everything - tuned into my Navigator.  And any road blocks that come up today, I will connect with Him to get the energy and strength from Him to do the right thing.  To head in the right direction.  He's there, just waiting for me to follow.

God, help me to listen with COMPASSION and speak with GRACE!!!!  Help me to focus on YOU instead of ME!  Help me to complete a journey that brings honor and glory to YOU!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!