Saturday 15 February 2014

When life's not all it was cracked up to be

I am a big fan of the author Lysa TerKeurst.  I think I've mentioned her before since I've read some of her books and love to follow her at Proverbs31 Ministry.  She has a unique perspective on life and somehow has this uncanny ability to hit me right where I need to.  Sometimes her writing/books leave me nodding my head in agreement, and other times it leaves me hanging my head just a bit because I've realized I've got a lot of work to do!  Regardless I really appreciate her insight into the Christian life and into life as a woman.

The other day, I came across this quote of hers on Pinterest, and I thought it was so appropriate.

5 Ways to Survive Love Season


I realize that it is linked with the unmet expectations around Valentines, but the quote itself really got me thinking about life in general.

We have so many expectations in life.  So many things that we think should happen, or should happen in a certain way.  So many times life doesn't turn out a certain way and those expectations are shattered. I have so many expectations for the people around me. My husband. My kids.  For my job.  For each situation that I encounter.  I go into things having a specific idea as to how it will turn out.  Obviously sometimes those expectations are low and the returned outcome ends up being more than I could have dreamed of.  More often than not, though, I create high expectations and am disappointed when those expectations aren't met. Sometimes, when we are disappointed by the turnout, we are right to be disappointed.  We were right to have those high expectations and when they weren't met, it's okay to be sad or disappointed.  Other times, I know for myself, when I look at my marriage, I need to rethink some of my expectations. Really?? My husband can't read my mind and know what I am thinking????  With my kids, I need to reassess.  Did I really give them a full rundown of what my expectations were for that situation, or did I just assume they understood or knew what my expectations were?  And were my expectations fair?

I know for myself, I put so many expectations on God and what should happen or how life should turn out. And in the end, I've had to ask myself this:  Should I really be putting any expectations on God?  I struggled with that question for awhile.  I mean, who am I to EXPECT things from God?  I am the one that should be doing things for Him.  God doesn't owe me anything - He gave His life for me!!!!!  On the other hand, God HAS made promises to us - so the things that He has promised me are valid expectations.

However, sometimes, what God has promised me, I tend to interpret in my own way.  For example.  Phil. 4:19 says But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus.  It's a promise. However, what God sees my needs to be aren't necessarily what I see my needs to be.  And truthfully, more often than not, they really aren't my needs, they are my wants.  I know back 20 years ago when we were going through the throws of my husbands accident, I really had an expectation of how God would heal my husband.  I thought complete healing was giving him all the feeling/movement back in his body. I never for a moment thought that complete healing would mean anything else.  But those were MY expectations of what God would do for him.  Those weren't God's plans.

As I go through different circumstances and at times feel like my expectations haven't been met even when "God promised", I just keep coming back to the fact that I just have to trust God.  The expectations that I experience in my day to day life with my husband, kids, friends, jobs, daily life etc.  Those things I can change my expectations or I can verbalize to those people what my expectations are so that they can potentially be met.  And I believe that God wants us to do that too!  I believe God wants us to share our burdens with Him.  He wants us to cry out to Him with all our hurts and fears and pain and anguish that consumes our souls.  He WANTS TO HEAR US!!!!  But that is it.  We need to tell Him what our expectations are.  What our desires are.  What our deepest longings are.  But then LEAVE IT!!!!  Leave it in His hands. As a "doer" that is really hard for me to do.  But I truly believe that is what He has asked us to do.  He wants us to leave it in HIS capable hands and He will do what is best for us.  We won't always understand it.  In fact, we won't always like it.  But we CAN trust that He knows what's going on.  Recently someone shared a family's prayer request with me, and I couldn't help but think "Lord, hasn't that family gone through enough?"  And I will admit, I've thought that about my own life at times.  NO MORE Lord!!!  But it all comes back to the fact that we have to trust that God is in control.

So often I have come back to this verse in Proverbs 3:5
Trust in the Lord with all your heart
    and lean not on your own understanding;

I think the most difficult thing for me in that verse is lean not on your own understanding.  We don't have to understand it.  We don't have to get it.  We just have to trust.  We just have to rest in the arms of God and know beyond a shadow of a doubt that He is there.  He is carrying us when we can't continue. The other day on Facebook I saw a picture of a friend cradling her new son.  He was sleeping so peacefully and the thought that crossed my mind was how that tiny little boy was putting all his trust in his Momma.  He was resting so peacefully. And his Momma was going to do whatever it took to take care of all his needs.  And I thought about how that should be us.  Resting peacefully in God's arms. Trusting Him with our whole heart.  

Unfortunately, so often for me, I am trying to clamor out of God's arms and take care of things myself.  How I think they should be.  I'm trying to work things out to MY expectations.  Instead I just need to stop.  I need to rest.  I need to trust.  That God is there, and my expectation should be just that He loves me.  And I can trust Him no matter what.

Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46.10.  Rest in me.  

I know I've shared these pockets of thoughts before.  And bear with me as I do it again. . . Sarah Young in her Jesus Calling Calendar wrote this for February 15:  

"COME TO ME with all your weaknesses: physical, emotional, and spiritual.  Rest in the comfort of My Presence, remembering that nothing is impossible with Me.

Pry your mind away from your problems so you can focus your attention on Me.  Recall that I am able to do immeasurably more than all you ask or imagine.  Instead of trying to direct Me to do this and that, see to attune yourself to what I am already doing."  (Luke 1:37; Ephesians 20-21)

Praying that God will fill you with peace today and that your expectations will be met today because you are resting in His everlasting arms.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!