Monday 10 February 2014

Mercy and Grace - be more



Mercy and Grace are two words as Christians we hear a lot about.  But do we really understand what they mean?  On Saturday in the devotional Our Daily Bread (Unintentional) there was an amazing write up that hit a little close to home.  

But the thing that really caught my eye was the definitions of grace and mercy.

Grace is getting what we do not deserve. 
Mercy is not receiving what we do deserve.

Those two little words really do encapsulate what Christianity is.  In our church service on Sunday, the whole concept of not getting what we deserve (because of our sin and the consequences it should bring) as well as  the possibility of us going to Heaven when we are sinners and therefore do not deserve it were really brought home as well.

Sometimes we as  Christians get this pretty good view of ourselves.  We can look in the mirror and think "Wow.  I'm doing a pretty good job at this Christianity thing."  We look at ourselves and think that our sins really don't amount to much.  We see all the things we are doing right and pat ourselves on the back.  

But the thing I was reminded of this Sunday was that even if it was true or possible, despite doing almost everything perfect, the fact that we DON'T do everything perfect leaves us with the penalty of death.  Every one of us.  Every one of us deserves death as our punishment.  But the fact that Jesus Christ came to die for us is the biggest gift of mercy ever.  The fact that we do not have to die because Christ paid that penalty is the biggest gift of grace there could possibly ever be.  

Today in our home, we experienced a big gift of mercy.  Something had happened last week where a mistake had been made and we were not certain of the consequences.  We thought our lives were going to be turned upside down.  We prayed.  We begged God for that not to happen.  But we knew that because of the situation, it was definitely a possibility.  Today we learned that mercy was given to us:  Mercy - not receiving what we deserve.  The huge relief that was lifted off of our shoulders today is indescribable.  It was tangible that feeling.  I could just about and reach out and feel the freedom of the decision that was made to give us mercy.  

As I thanked God for the mercy that was given to us in this situation, I couldn't help but wonder how relatively "unthankful" I am for the gift of MERCY and GRACE that God has given to me.  I wondered about this and realized that in so many ways, I act like I deserve this grace and mercy God has given to me by sending Jesus.  I live like it is no big deal that I was supposed to die, but Christ took that penalty for me.  I sat thinking about the consequences that could have come down on our family because of the mistake that was made and how inconsequential that mistake was compared to sins of all nations.  Today someone chose to bestow grace on us - for that one mistake.  And it felt like the world to us. I know every effort will be made to never let that mistake happen again.  We will do everything to learn and grow from this situation.  But how do I view what Jesus Christ did for the sins of my entire life????  How do I react to that knowledge?  Am I striving every day to serve Him?  Am I showing everything possible in my life that I love Him?  Am I doing whatever I can to give praise, honor and glory to the One who removed that consequence of death from my life?  How am I striving to be more like the One who has provided a way for me to go to Heaven?

Today as I considered how grateful I was for the gift of mercy that was granted to us today, it made me think WHAT AM I DOING FOR JESUS????  How am I showing my gratitude for the grace and mercy He has given to me?  It made me ashamed, to be quite honest.  But it also made me motivated to change the things in my life that need to show Him that I am grateful for His gift.  It made me want to BE MORE for Jesus!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!