Saturday 8 March 2014

I WISH. . . .

 My daughter has a friend over today.  Kind of a last minute thing. . . . But alas, the 4 buddies that my son called up, none could come over.

I wish. . . . that was Peyton's song when he heard sister was having a friend over.  I wish. . . . It's not that I'm ungrateful, but I wish. . . .

Heard those words before?  SAID those words before?!?!?!

What are your wishes?  I wish. . . . for more time.  I wish . . . . I was thinner.   I wish. . . I was a better person.  I wish. . . . I could go on a vacation south (because ALL - yes ALL!! our other friends are going!!!!)  I wish . . . we made more money.  I wish. . . . I could be more like . . her. . . .  I wish. . . . . I wish. . . If only. . . . . . . . oh how I wish. . . . .

What's your wish?  What do you desire?  Okay truthfully, what are you un-thankful for?  As I listened to Peyton sigh, and groan, and lament about just how awful it was to NOT have any friend that liked him enough to pick up the phone (and why does TAYLOR get to have a friend over?!?!?!?!!!!!) I got to thinking about what the real root of the problem was.

And believe me!  It's not just Peyton - I truly believe he has inherited that awful trait from his mother!  *SIGH*  Because believe me, I can sigh with discontent as well as anyone you've ever heard sigh!  And believe me, when I sigh, you KNOW i'm not content. . . . .   I WISH. . . . my record is stuck on SKIP :  I wish i wish i wish i wish. . . . . ETC!!!!

So how do we get over those wishes. . . . those things we wish we could have- but don't.  How do we stop looking to what we don't have?

THANKFULNESS!  That's the key.  If we stopped to look at what we DO have, we would be so much more joyful.  Please don't take this the wrong way.  I GET that sometimes life has thrown us an awful - and mean DOWN RIGHT AWFUL - curve ball.  BUT, are there no good things that we can focus on?  I'm not saying that we have to be jumping up and down with joy because our hearts are breaking, but in even just a brief moment. . . can we find the joy?  Can we find the things that God has given to us?  Because as dark as it might seem. . . . they are there.  THEY ARE THERE!!!!

When sitting down in those quiet times and our hearts go to the things we don't have, can we make a quick adjustment and try to focus on the good things?  The things God HAS given us?  In Philippians 4, Paul talks about being content in whatever situation is presented to him.  WOW!!!  That is so not me - I am so thankful my name isn't Paul (sorry to all you Paul's!!!).  But hold up!!!!!!  Paul or not, God has told me to be thankful.  Not because things are good, but because He has given us so many good things.  He has blessed us with so many things!!!  They might be a little fuzzy at times, but if you are willing to look, you'll find them.

This week, let's try to take our "I WISH" and turn it into "I HAVE. . . "  Instead of thinking about all those things you wish for, think about all the things you have.

I know I don't have to think too much and I could give you a list a mile long.  And I'm going to start listing them in my joy journal right now!!!


Have a THANKFUL weekend my friends.  Let's be thankful for all those things we wished for - and God gave us.  Sometimes even before we wished them!!!!  (and hey. . . truthfully???? Let's me thankful God hasn't given us all we wished for because He knows what's best for us. . . and all we wish for is not always the best for us!!!)

OH GIVE THANKS TO THE LORD, FOR HE IS GOOD!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!