Monday 24 February 2014

Olympics. . . . realigning my priorities!!!!

And now. . . the Olympics are over. . . Canada smiles a collective satisfied sigh. . . Pretty good.  We did pretty good didn't we?  Both our women and men won GOLD in hockey & curling!  What's more Canadian than those two sports????

Funny how we couch potatoes didn't do a thing to get those 25 medals, but somehow we feel like we had something to do with it.  Somehow, we feel like our cheering from our warm comfy homes, changed things just a little.  We didn't fly to Sochi.  We didn't train for 4 years.  We didn't lift a finger.  We didn't have to.  The athletes, coaches, families and others did it all.  But we are quite ready to take just a little bit of pride with us that somehow, we are a part of those medals.

What patriotism we display.  What passion we portray.  What connection we feel sitting in a room with others cheering on our teams.  All for a chance to say "We won".  We made it.  We accomplished our goal of winning a medal.

I will admit this.  I was curious.  I wasn't so much consumed with Canada's medals as I was curious as to how we would stack up against other countries.  I also can admit that playing sports is not my thing.  So the Olympics was more about our ratings against other countries than it was about winning each sport.

As I watched our country's patriotism rise, and as I saw and heard people talk about Sochi, the Olympics, the athletes, it made me wonder how such a (truthfully) trivial thing like sports could bind a country together for 2 1/2 weeks?  How could a mere hockey game cause a country to stand still and hold it's breath?

And then I stood back, took a breath and thought. . .

Why is it, that the the reactions we have knowing that there are millions of people out there who are dying without ever having known Jesus, pales terribly in comparison to our reactions to a gold medal win?  Why is it, that when we think of Heaven and worshiping our Saviour, it doesn't garner the same response as the moment we realized that Canada would win a gold medal hockey game?  Why is it that the priorities in my life are so messed up?  Why is it that we focus so much of our energy on 16 days of Olympic games and yet our focus for eternity is in reality not even there?

What does that say about me?  What does that say about my priorities?  What does that say about where my focus is?  Where is Christ in the midst of all my cheering?  Where is my ache for those that have never heard of Christ?  Do I cheer excitedly when i hear that someone has come to know Jesus?  Am I doubled over in despair when I hear about a person who has passed away without ever having made a commitment to Christ?  Is the first word on my lips each morning "Jesus Christ", the way "Olympics" was these past weeks? How much time did I spend with my Lord and Savior as compared to the amount of time I spent fixating on the games?

I can tell you. . . that I have no answers.  I have no responses.  I know my priorities are askew!  I know that I need to refocus my thoughts.  I need to realign my priorities.  The one who made the universe. . . the one who has saved me from eternal death. . . the one who forgives me each day. . . . Where is He in the priorities of my life. . . .

Really feeling called to realign my priorities!!!!

Psalm 1

Blessed is the one
    who does not walk in step with the wicked
or stand in the way that sinners take
    or sit in the company of mockers,
but whose delight is in the law of the Lord,
    and who meditates on his law day and night.

That person is like a tree planted by streams of water,
    which yields its fruit in season
and whose leaf does not wither—
    whatever they do prospers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!