Thursday 30 January 2014

Thirsty Thursday: Berry Breakfast Smoothie


















Today I thought I would share my breakfast smoothie with you.  This is something that I have been having about 3 or 4 times a week and it's a little bit of heaven before I start my day.  I usually have them on the mornings when  the kids are off to school, and hubby is off to work, and it's just me and the pets.  I love it. It's such a relaxing way to start the day and a healthy way to start the day.  I will admit, I am not a breakfast person. If I did have breakfast it was usually a piece of toast and coffee.  I've been trying to stay away from that, so this is what I have come up with.  AND it's a great way to get my calcium in.

One unique thing that I put into my smoothie are Chia seeds.  Look at the wonderful benefits you get from just taking in one Tablespoon of seeds each day.

They’re a good source of:
  • Omega 3 fatty acids Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids are essential fatty acids, meaning that you need to get from food sources because your body cannot produce them itself. Omega 3′s reduce inflammation and may help lower risk of chronic diseases such as heart disease, cancer, and arthritis. They’re also said to help with weight reduction related to their regulation of blood sugar levels and insulin.
  • Plant-based protein - We all know protein is an essential macro-nutrient needed for many functions in the body, including muscle building.
  • Antioxidants - Anti-oxidants help rid our body of free radicals, which have been linked to cancer and heart disease.
  • Fiber – Helps with weight loss by keeping you feeling full, prevents constipation and enhances regularity.
  • Magnesium and Potassium – Two minerals needed for good health.
(taken from the website:  http://www.eatingbirdfood.com/2011/08/why-eat-chia-seeds/)

So here is my recipe for this delicious smoothie:

Berry Breakfast Smoothie

1 Cup of frozen mixed berries (blackberries, blueberries & strawberries)
3/4 cup of skim milk
1/2 cup of yogurt (I used strawberry Danone Activa yogurt)
1 Tablespoon of Chia seeds

Blend together in an electric blender until smooth.  Pour into tall glass and enjoy!

The amazing thing is that there are only 335 calories in this smoothie and with the addition of the chia seeds, I find it keeps me going all the way through lunch.  This would be great on a hot afternoon as well, although, these days here in Manitoba, it's pretty hard to even imagine summer will one day get here!

Enjoy and have a wonderful Thursday!

~Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!