Friday 24 January 2014

Praise you in this Storm



This afternoon, I was sitting in my kitchen watching the snow fly all around and listening to the winds howl. The forecast had been for a balmy -1C, which it had been earlier on in the afternoon, but now the temperatures were falling and with the wind, I was pretty sure the it was feeling much colder than that.  As I sat and looked out the window, I watched as a squirrel sat carefully perched on a branch eating the seeds that my husband so faithfully puts out.  I watched as a bird feeder blew around in the wind, and watched as to my surprise, several birds flew up to it and perched themselves at it.  They proceeded to eat from the feeder as if the fact that the feeder was at quite an angle due to the wind it didn't even make them take notice.  They sat and fed there for quite some time, moving around so others could join them.  It was as if they weren't even aware of the storm raging all around them.  Amazingly, at that same moment Casting Crowns song "I Will Praise you in this Storm" came onto my iPod.  (see the link below).

I sat and listened to the words that I have in the past heard over and over and watched with fascination as the birds and squirrel continued on doing what they were doing despite the storm raging all around them.  I was reminded of a song that as I child I loved to listen to.  In our church, we always had a variety of speakers coming for Sunday mornings.  I don't recall this gentleman's name, but what I do remember is him singing the song "His Eye is On the Sparrow".  He had a had a distinct accent that whenever I hear this song, I am reminded of him singing it.  The chorus goes as follows "I sing because I'm happy, I sing because I'm free.  For His eye is on the sparrow and I know He watches me."

As I sat and watched the sparrows and chickadees at the feeder it brought me back to the wonder of how God cares for us, and watches over us. In every situation, God is there. In every moment of fear, in every moment of betrayal, in every moment of grief, God is there.  Over the years, K & I have gone through many valleys, yet each time God has proved Himself faithful.  He has given us the strength, the patience, the confidence that He is still in control.  The storms may have raged around us, yet He was there.  I will be honest, as we journeyed through them, at times I did wonder where He was.  I wondered WHY ME? WHY US?  But once I've come through the storm, and even so many times as I gone through those storms, God has shown Himself to me.  

When K had his accident and lay in a hospital bed unable to move (I'll share his story another day) I made the comment that being a Christian was the best and worst thing.  It was difficult because I couldn't understand why God had allowed him to break his neck & his back when we were doing His ministry.  And yet, I was so thankful that I had a God that was in control.  A God that I could go to with my fears, worries and agony.  I couldn't have begun to imagine walking through those months without the knowledge and confidence that God was still in control of things.  Last year, when I was wading through the dark days of depression and anxiety, I didn't understand God, but I KNEW beyond a shadow of a doubt that He was there, guiding me through that journey.  What a confidence we have knowing God is there.  Knowing that He has gone before us.  That He knows the very feelings we are dealing with.  

Having weathered several storms, I can honestly say that I am thankful that God has taken me through each and every one.  I have been drawn closer to God.  I have seen His amazing miracles.  I have seen the power that He has displayed when all hope was lost.  Had I not gone through those waters? I would never have been able to experience all of God's goodness and miracles.  I can truly say I will praise Him in this storm. . . and after the storm. . . I will thank Him as I sit and bask in the the calm after the storm.  What a confidence we have knowing we are God's children and He is taking care of us.  

Matthew 6:25-34

25 “So my counsel is: Don’t worry about things—food, drink, and clothes. For you already have life and a body—and they are far more important than what to eat and wear. 26 Look at the birds! They don’t worry about what to eat—they don’t need to sow or reap or store up food—for your heavenly Father feeds them. And you are far more valuable to him than they are. 27 Will all your worries add a single moment to your life?
28 “And why worry about your clothes? Look at the field lilies! They don’t worry about theirs. 29 Yet King Solomon in all his glory was not clothed as beautifully as they. 30 And if God cares so wonderfully for flowers that are here today and gone tomorrow, won’t he more surely care for you, O men of little faith?
31-32 “So don’t worry at all about having enough food and clothing. Why be like the heathen? For they take pride in all these things and are deeply concerned about them. But your heavenly Father already knows perfectly well that you need them, 33 and he will give them to you if you give him first place in your life and live as he wants you to.
34 “So don’t be anxious about tomorrow. God will take care of your tomorrow too. 
Live one day at a time"




4 comments:

  1. God is good. . . . all of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Even when it's difficult He is there. . . carrying us through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post. The comment that being a Christian is "the best and worst thing" is so true. It makes the questioning so hard ... and yet God's strength makes it possible to get through. And Jesus has gone before us and experienced everything we have. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jeannie. I know you guys have had your share of storms too! PTL He is always there!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!