Thursday 2 January 2014

Chilly with a chance of JOY!

today as i clean up from the  trimmings of the holiday season, i've made several trips up and down the stairs, packing away, cleaning up and ultimately doing load after load of laundry.  as i make my trek up and down, i watch as the steam billows from the exhaust of my laundry vent.  it creates weird and wonderful formations on the outside of our home.

here in manitoba, the second day of the year brings us -33C temperatures, but our home is a cozy 21C.  that's a 54 degree difference!!!  every time i see the steam billowing up in front of the window, i am overcome with gratitude.  for many things, but at the moment gratitude for a warm home - of which i am well aware there are so many who don't have that blessing.

another blessing was time spent with friends.  yesterday we had a wonderful time with friends who also have a multi cultural family as we do.  this morning i was reveling in the joy of having spent time with them, when my very grouchy nine year old burst my joy bubble.  too many late nights, and too many early mornings had made for a very grumpy boy!  at that very moment (and throughout the rest of this morning) i had so many opportunities to respond with a chilly retort to comments he was making or attitudes he was displaying.  

and as i watching the steam escape from my dryer vent i realized i had a decision. was i going to allow my warm fuzzy joy that i was feeling escape and fizzle into a frozen response or was i going to hang on to the blessings god had provided me with and focus on that?  how easy it would have been to just let it all evaporate into nothing and take on that chilly persona that so easily overtakes me at times.  thankfully god granted me the peace to chat through my son's chilly responses and turn it into something positive, but it certainly gave me pause to think about what my responses would be this year.

will the joy that god provides me, take over, or will i allow my heart to become chilly and frozen, freezing out those around me. . .   i truly hope it is the warmth of god's love that takes over and that each time the temperature might want to drop in my heart, that i will let gods love warm me and take over.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!