Tuesday 13 May 2014

Staying the course

Today is a big day for me.  Well not just for me.  But for our whole family. 

May 13, 1989.  What a day it was.

Twenty five years ago today my husband and I were married.  If I would have known then what I do now, I don't think I would have jumped in so quickly.  I knew that marriage was not always a bed of roses.  I knew it would have it's ups and downs.  But I never dreamed of all the things that I would experience in twenty five years.

To be truthful, they have not all been wonderful years.  They have not all been honeymoon moments.  Believe me.  There have been the drop down drag out fights that lasted for days.  There have been nights spent apart.  There have been "rip your heart out" moments for both of us that we would never want to repeat.

Then there were all the curve balls that were thrown our way that we never ever could have predicted:  an accident that caused Keith to be an incomplete paraplegic having to use a wheelchair to get around, infertility, the loneliness of always living away from family, marital separation, depression, anxiety, joblessness, to name just a few.  . . . . no one told me there would be THOSE moments to look forward to. . . .

Yet through those dark times. . . those difficult times. . . thankfully we did not give up.  Truthfully, God did not give up - or rather we did not give up on God.  While I am not always thankful for those times - those moments, I AM thankful for the end result.  If only I could go along the journey without having to endure those moments - and yet learn all those life lessons, I would love that.   But alas, that is not the case.  It's those difficult moments that polish us.  That refine us.  And if we stay the course.  If we allow God to direct us through those difficult waters.  Those dark times. . . He DOES bring us out the other side.

Today, I can honestly say that regardless of all the difficulties Keith and I have gone through, there is no one else I'd rather be spending the rest of my life with.  There is no one else who better understands me (and accepts me!) than he does.  Believe me. . . .he has his hands full.  Even I wouldn't want to have to put up with me most days!  But he does.  And he forgives.  And he loves me.

I am such a fortunate girl to be married to him. He is an amazing husband - not with out his faults - but perfect for me.  He's an incredible dad to our kids and an amazing example to those around him.

I am so proud and thankful to be able to say that I am married to Keith for twenty five years today!  And I pray for many many more of these crazy years to come.

I love you Keith!!!!





4 comments:

  1. Happy Anniversary! May God continue to uphold you both as you continue your journey together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you both! Love you both! So thankful that our relationahip is no longer what it once was....ONLY GOD!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you too! And so thankful for our relationship with you! You have blessed me continually! Will be praying much for you today!

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!