Thursday 28 March 2013

Thursday Thoughts

I've actually never heard of Maundy Thursday before.  But this week, I have been able to focus a little more intently on what this week must have felt like for Jesus - knowing what He was in for.

I think of times when I have something not so great to look forward to.  Something that might make me nervous, stressed, scared.  Something like the dentist.  A dreaded doctor's appointment.  A job evaluation.

None of that can compare to the dread that Jesus must have felt leading up to this Friday.  I think about Him heading into the last supper.  KNOWING that Judas would be there. . . ready to betray Him.  Sitting beside Peter - who He knew would deny Him three times.  Sharing the passover meal with His disciples - men with whom He had spent most nearly every day with.  But men who had no idea what was to befall Him just later that week.  Men who knew He was the Messiah.  Men who walked with Him day and night.  Men who saw Him do miracles.  But men who really didn't KNOW who He was. 

I imagine Jesus at that last supper.  Sitting there with those men.  His brothers.  Knowing that in less than 24 hours He would be paying the penalty for all their sins.  For MY sins.  What dread.  And we see it in His prayer at Gethsemane.  It's not like Jesus didn't know what was ahead.  HE DID!  He went to the garden to pray.  To BEG God to make it any other way. I cannot begin to imagine the agony He must have felt.  And then to turn around and find His disciples sleeping.  I cannot imagine the hurt.  The disappointment.  Knowing. . . . what lay ahead. . .

And He did this all for me.

Below is a video that reminded me of all Jesus did. . . . FOR ME!!!!


We are the Reason video (Avalon)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!