Thursday 27 March 2014

Blessings. . . . turned idols?

I was going to start by apologizing for yet another meandering down my "thought lane" since I have been so focused on what kind of a Christian I am and . . . really who I am serving.  But alas, isn't that truly what we should all be striving for?  To be more like Christ.

So instead of apologizing for going over this yet again. . . I will encourage you to join me on my journey as I try to figure out exactly where God is calling me. . . . or what God is calling me to.

There's more thoughts mulling around in my brain today. . . more than I can actually sort out and pour out through my fingers.  So for now, I will share something I read today.

I've been trying to figure out how to live my every day life, yet have Christ first in it.  How to make Christ my priority instead of myself.  And so those thoughts have been rolling around in the hollows of my head all morning as I get ready for Spring Break.  And as I sat down to strike a few things off my to do list, I noticed I hadn't turned my JESUS CALLING calender over to March 27.  So I did, and this is what I read.

Be still in My Presence, even though countless tasks clamor for your attention.  Nothing is as important as spending time with Me.  While you wait in My Presence, I do My best work within you: transforming you by the renewing of your mind. If you skimp on this time with Me, you may plunge headlong into the wrong activities, missing the richness of what I have planned for you.
Do not seek Me primarily for what I can give you.  Remember that I, the Giver, am infinitely greater than any gift I might impart to you.  Thought I delight in blessing My children, I am deeply grieved when My blessings become idols in their hearts.  Anything can be an idol of it distracts you from Me as your First Love.When I am the ultimate Desire of your heart, you are safe from the danger of idolatry.  As you wait in My Presence, enjoy the greatest fight of all: Christ in you, the hope of Glory!!

Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is—His good, pleasing and perfect will.  ~Romans 12:2
Yet I hold this against you: You have forsaken the love you had at first. ~Revelation 2:4
To them God has chosen to make known among the Gentiles the glorious riches of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. ~Colossians 1:27

I will admit, I kind of stopped short.  Is it possible that I have turned so many of the blessings that God has granted to me, into idols?  Have I gotten so absorbed in the things He has given to me - the blessings, whatever they might be - that I have turned my focus onto the gifts He's granted me, rather than onto the Giver of those gifts?  I admit.  I kind of sat there and thought about that for awhile.  Certainly I acknowledge that God has blessed me with all those things in my life, but have I become too focused on those blessings?  Do the blessings consume my thoughts more than the Blesser?

Not sure what else to say about this because I think. . . maybe they have.  And maybe that's going to have to be my first step in my journey.  I know I have felt I need to put Christ first, but I never truly thought that it was His blessings that I had put first instead of HIM!!!

I've been praying that He will show me where I need to change. . . . and I think He just did. . . .


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Feel free to leave me a message!